Saturday 7 November 2009


The ruelle is the bit of the bedroom between the bed and the wall. Or it can simply be the side of the bed next to the wall, which is the side I prefer.

It derives, since you ask, from the French for lane or small rue, as that is what a ruelle resembles.

Note the ruelle on the lower left


  1. Many thanks for this one, Dogberry.

    A friend visited yesterday with photographs of a flat he's buying in Chiswick, and I was delighted to disparage his meagre ruelles.

  2. I'm glad that I made disparagement easier. As Tom Lehrer said of his music "if just one human being is inspired to say something nasty to a friend, or perhaps strike a loved one, it will all have been worth the while."